Braised Pears with Soy-Ginger Glaze
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
- ½ cup packed golden brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 firm but ripe Bartlett or Bosc USA Pears, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cored
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
In a 10-inch sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the soy sauce, ginger, sugar, and cayenne pepper. Stir until the sugar is melted and the ingredients are well combined and then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the pears, cut side down, and simmer, basting frequently, until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the pears to a microwave-safe serving dish.
Bring the liquid in the pan back to a slow boil and add the vinegar. Simmer the sauce until it is thick and syrupy, about 3 minutes. Pour the sauce over the pears and serve immediately or set aside until ready to serve. If needed, reheat in the microwave just before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 Pear (230g)
- Calories: 320
- Carbohydrate: 55g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Protein: 2g