Make half your plate fruits and veggies—it’s easy to follow MyPlate guidelines when you include USA Pears in your meals! The MyPlate logo suggests that Americans fill half the plate with fruits and veggies at every meal. It’s easy to eat more produce whether you’re sitting down to a family dinner or taking your meal on the go. Pears can be added to quesadillas, smoothies, lunchboxes, and soups—think outside the plate!
With 24% of the Daily Value of fiber and 10% of the Daily Value of vitamin C, pears are a smart choice. Not only do pears add a boost of nutrition to your favorite meals and recipes, they’re also versatile and available nearly year-round.
Here are some fresh ideas to get you started:
Check out our entire recipe library to find more MyPlate-friendly meal ideas!
Try these quick tips to make it pear-fectly easy to follow the MyPlate recommendations of making half your plate fruits and vegetables:
- Mix diced pears into oatmeal or a bowl of cereal
- Glaze pear slices in butter and maple syrup and serve over whole-grain pancakes or waffles
- Slide pear pieces onto skewers with other fresh fruits for a fun snack
- Top grilled pork or chicken with pear puree
- Slide pear slices into sandwiches, quesadillas, or paninis
- Sprinkle pear pieces into homemade salsas and chutneys
- Combine (or replace) apples with pears in a pie filling or sauce
- Poach pears with vanilla bean and cinnamon for dessert
- Eat fresh pear slices with yogurt or nut butters for dipping
- Create side dishes with different combinations of your favorite whole grains, chopped nuts, crumbled cheese and diced pears
- When trying to fill half your plate with fruits and vegetables, don’t forget to count the pears you use in your recipes