Savory Skillet-Roasted Pears with Mushrooms, Farro, and Walnuts
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cooked farro, barley, or other whole grain
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more
- 4 large, ripe or slightly underripe USA Anjou Pears
Note: Makes 4 main-dish servings, or 8 side-dish servings
Preheat the oven to 350˚F with a rack in the center.
In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and shallot and cook until tender and the juices evaporate, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a medium bowl and add the cooked farro, walnuts, egg, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine well.
Halve the pears lengthwise and use a 1-tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out the seeds along with some of the flesh to create a 1 1/2-inch well for the filling. Season the pears generously with salt.
Clean out the skillet and return it to medium heat. Once hot, add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and swirl to coat. Add the pears, cut-side down, and cook until nicely browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and turn the pears cut-side up. Spoon the filling mixture onto the pears, dividing it evenly.
Bake until the pears are tender and the filling is browned and a little crunchy, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 8 oz
- Calories: 430
- Carbohydrate: 64g
- Dietary Fiber: 13g
- Protein: 9g