Roasted Pear and Squash with Kale and Honey Vinegar Drizzle
- 3 red Anjou USA Pears, cored and cut into large pieces
- 1 large bunch of purple kale, washed, removed from stems, torn into pieces
- 2 small acorn squash, washed, cored and cut into small wedges.
- 1 small onion, sliced into small pieces
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tbs. apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 tbs avocado oil, divided (other oil can be used)
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 plus (2) 1/8 tsp black pepper, divided
Preheat oven to 425 °
In a small bowl, mix together the honey, apple cider vinegar and cayenne pepper and set aside later for the drizzle.
In a large bowl, toss the cleaned kale with 1 tbs of avocado oil, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper for easy clean up.
Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the kale leaves are crispy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
Toss the cut acorn with 1 tbs avocado oil, 1 tsp kosher salt and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Arrange on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then cut and toss the red Anjou pear and onion with 1 tbs avocado oil, 1/2 tsp kosher salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper and spread on a second baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Place both baking sheets of acorn squash and the pear/onion mixture into the oven and roast for 20 minutes. Turn the squash and pear/ onion mixture and roast for an additional 10 minutes or until the ingredients are golden and tender. The pear/onion mixture may be done before the squash.
Assemble the salad by arranging the crispy kale on a long board or platter. Top with the warm roasted squash and pear/onion mixture. Garnish with the toasted walnuts and pomegranate seeds. Top with the Honey Vinegar drizzle as you serve the salad.