Passover Meatballs with Celery and Mint in a Spicy Sweet Pear Sauce
This sweet and savory dish from USA Pears Israel will make a wonderful addition to the Passover menu.
- 1 lb ground beef
- Finely grated celery root
- A handful of coarsely chopped mint leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 wet and broken matzah into small pieces
For the sauce:
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 Red Anjou pears cut into cubes
- A generous pinch of chili powder
- Juice from three oranges
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Three tablespoons of neutral oil for frying
- A flat teaspoon of salt
1. Make a sauce: In a medium saucepan, fry the garlic and onion in oil until they are translucent but not browned. Add the orange juice, chili and season with Thai fish sauce. Bring to a boil. Add the pears and continue to cook over low heat.
2. Prepare the patty mixture: Mix all the ingredients well in a bowl until a uniform mixture is obtained. You can fry a small patty and taste to correct seasoning.
3. Make round patties the size of falafel balls from the mixture and place in a pot with the hot sauce. Cook together for about half an hour on a medium flame.
4. Serve hot with rice, mashed potatoes or any favorite kosher addition for Passover.
Review This Recipe