Baked Pear Crumb Doughnuts
For the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain, whole milk Greek or skyr yogurt
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pear, diced (preferably green or red Anjou)
For the crumb-topping:
- ½ cup all-purpose or white whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup rolled oatmeal
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons crushed walnuts
- 4 tablespoons room temperature butter
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease two 8-section doughnut pans.
2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine yogurt, sugar, canola oil, eggs and vanilla extract and use an electric beater to combine.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir a few times to incorporate. When there are a few flour pockets remaining, fold in pears.
5. Mix until just combined and pears are evenly distributed.
6. Make the streusel by combining everything together in a bowl and use your hands to combine.
7. Pour batter into a piping bag then pipe into prepared doughnut pans (I find this easiest).
8. If using: add streusel to the top of each doughnut and press down gently, to ensure it sticks.
9. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until doughnuts spring back to the touch. Let cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!