Pears are a healthy choice for Americans!
The 2020-2025 Dietary Guidelines for Americans (DGA), has established fruit, especially whole fruit, as a key component of a healthy eating pattern and recommends choosing more fruits as snacks, in salads, as side dishes, and as desserts in place of foods with added sugars.
A medium pear not only satisfies one whole serving of fruit, but is also an excellent source of fiber and offers vitamin C (8% of the Daily Value) and potassium (4% of the Daily Value) which are all considered under consumed nutrients by the DGA.
According to MyPlate, a simple guide to healthier meals as defined by the DGA from the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), Americans should make half or their plate fruits and vegetables at every meal to help reduce risk for chronic diseases such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, hypertension, osteoporosis, and certain cancers. Pears are a convenient, affordable, and delicious way to help meet the MyPlate guidelines and build the foundation for healthy eating.
According to the DGA, a healthy eating pattern includes:
- A variety of vegetables from all of the subgroups—dark green, red and orange, legumes (beans and peas), starchy, and other
- Fruits, especially whole fruits
- Grains, at least half of which are whole grains
- Fat-free or low-fat dairy, including milk, yogurt, cheese, and/or fortified soy beverages
- A variety of protein foods, including seafood, lean meats and poultry, eggs, legumes (beans and peas), and nuts, seeds, and soy products
A healthy eating pattern limits:
- Saturated fats, trans fats added sugars, sodium, and alcoholic beverages
Try these easy, one-plate recipes from USA Pears to help include the key components of the Dietary guidelines in your diet:
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Pears Wild Rice and Walnuts
- Marinated pear and Toasted Farro Salad
- Turkey Burgers with Caramelized Pears and Sweet Onion
- Chicken Sausage and Pasta with Pears
- Grilled Chicken Pears and Avocado Toast
Find the latest research on the health benefits of pears here.
What do pears have to offer?