Assistant Communications Manager
Reports to: Director of Communications
Primary job duties/functions:
Communications and Public Relations
- Blog and Social Media Management – serve as primary contributor of The Pear Dish blog (http://blog.usapears.org); manage two freelance nutrition and recipe bloggers who post a minimum of 2x per month; create and maintain blog and social media editorial calendars; engage and grow audience of users on USA Pears with multiple daily posts on social media properties including Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, YouTube, Instragram, Vine and more; analyze emerging social media platforms to determine additional social media opportunities for USA Pears; develop social media policies and procedures and maintain USDA compliance; utilize third party social media monitoring tool to schedule content and analyze/ improve upon social media performance
- Website Management – execute editorial strategy and develop content for usapears.org and other affiliated websites that supports and aligns with ongoing PR and marketing strategies, provide ongoing review, updating and testing of existing website using customized content management system (CMS), use Photoshop to create eye-catching graphics, download traffic reports, analyze data using Google Analytics, and make recommendations for site improvements and optimization.
- Copy Writing – write or edit copy for press releases, matte releases, website, correspondence, blogs, and newsletters targeted to a variety of audiences including consumers, nutrition influencers/registered dietitians, school classrooms and cafeterias, chefs, pear growers and shippers, write grant applications and report on progress
- Event Coordination – coordinate and attend community events and trade shows (including handling all related logistics and staffing);
- Graphic Design – create marketing and communications materials from concept to completion including brochures, recipe cards, flyers, newsletters, sell-in sheets, posters, Powerpoint presentations, and banners
- Public Relations – conduct ongoing media outreach and press release follow-up via phone and e-mail
- General Communications – respond to general inquiries and requests for in-kind donations, recipes, promotional materials, artwork; proactively seek opportunities for increased exposure among existing and potential pear consumers and influencers
- File Organization – establish and maintain photo and recipe databases and physical/digital libraries including media clips and clip reports
- Contact Management – develop and maintain accurate contact lists including chefs & restaurants, media contacts, dieticians, etc.
- Budget Management – track budgets and manage with supervisor to ensure spending is in line with season budget
Executive Program Support
- Special Project Coordination – develop targeted marketing and sales materials, coordinate mass mailings, and handle logistics and/or represent the Pear Bureau in person for special events including meetings, community events, and trade shows taking place locally and where needed
- Presentation Development – create dynamic PowerPoint presentations for management speaking engagements that are on-brand, easy to understand, and visually appealing
- Executive Support – serve as main point of contact for Communications Director and other management staff while they are out of the office; maintain other duties as assigned.
Required Skill Sets:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in communications, marketing, or related field with at least three years of experience in an office environment
- Strong attention to detail with superior organizational capabilities
- Excellent writing, grammar, and proofreading skills
- Ability to proactively manage multiple projects and events and adhere to tight deadlines
- Exemplary interpersonal communications skills
- Ability to meet challenges with professionalism and good humor
- Expert customer service to both internal and external audiences
- Flexibility to work both independently and with a team on projects
- Proficient computer skills, including adept typing ability and operation/troubleshooting of Microsoft Windows operating system and applications
- Must have a reliable car and ability to lift and carry 50 lbs
- Frequent travel in the U.S. and Canada required.
- Expert knowledge of Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Intermediate knowledge of Photoshop and willing to learn other programs in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, InDesign)
Phone: (503) 652-9720
or email your resume to Jlivesay@usapears.com
Pear Bureau Northwest provides equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, national origin, age, disability, and where applicable, sex, marital status, familial status, parental status, religion, veterans’ status, sexual orientation, genetic information, political beliefs, or any other basis.
To file a complaint of discrimination, write the USDA, Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Stop 9410, Washington, DC, 20250-9410, or call toll-free at (866) 632-9992 (English) or (800) 877-8339 (TDD) or (866) 377-8642 (English Federal-relay) or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish Federal-relay).