Happy National Nutrition Month!


This year’s National Nutrition Month campaign focuses on enjoying the taste of eating healthfully. It is known among nutrition professionals that, although many reasons play a role in food choice, the primary reason someone purchases one food over another is because of taste. I teach nutrition in a university culinary program; healthful food is key to living well and preventing disease, but nutrition doesn’t count until you eat it! Food must taste good.

So how can food taste good and be good or your body? Focus on starting with fruits and vegetables at each meal and snack, add protein, then splurge on the garnishes – dash with cheese, dollop a flavorful sauce or dip, or top with small amounts of other higher calorie. For instance, a fresh sliced pear with a spoonful of peanut butter is a perfect snack. Also, try following the 90/10 rule: Make healthful choices 90% of the time, then the other 10%, or about 200 – 300 calories each day, can be for splurges. There is room in a healthy lifestyle for treats! This also limits too many splurges, because you never feel deprived and you eat the nutrition your body needs. Enjoy your food, enjoy your health, and enjoy national nutrition month!

About Amy Kweller MS, RD

As a Registered Dietitian, I have a professional relationship with pears. But as someone who loves great food, I also have a personal relationship with pears! So there is no better way to spend my time than blogging about this lovely fruit. I will blog about pears from farm to table; healthy living, cooking, and recipes; the therapeutic benefits of pears and a wholesome diet; and how pears can fit into your lifestyle. I have a background in clinical and community nutrition, and teaching others how to lead healthy, fulfilling lives is my goal and passion – so send me your questions. My hope is that everyone who visits this site will find something that lingers long after the browser closes, and I expect that will be a deeper love of pears!

Leave a Reply