With fall in full swing, the crisp autumn air makes evenings the perfect time to cozy up next to the fire and enjoy a delectable dessert. To add an international flavor, try one of these decadent recipes from Germany. Use the German names of each dish to expand your vocabulary and impress friends and family!
Steamed White Wine Amaretto Pear with Espresso Chocolate Sauce
Ingredients for 4 servings:
450 ml white wine (2 cups)
50 ml Amaretto (1/4 cup)
1 slice organic orange peel
4 USA Anjou pears
1 cinnamon stick
250 ml milk (1 cup)
1 small bag (2 g) espresso instant powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 pinch of salt
150 g dark chocolate
- Boil up white wine with Amaretto and orange peel. Peal pears and remove stem. Use a kitchen knife to carefully cut out a small wedge-shaped piece of pear at the pear’s neck and then make a hole at the top of the pear with a skewer. Briefly soak the cinnamon stick in water to make it easier to chop. Cut the cinnamon stick into four pieces. Stick a piece of cinnamon into every pear in the hole that you made at the top. Add pears to the white wine stock and steam for 6-8 minutes. Let cool down in stock.
- Boil up milk with espresso powder, sugar and salt. Chop chocolate and dissolve in milk. Let chocolate sauce cool down to lukewarm.
- Remove pears from stock and serve them with espresso chocolate sauce.
Preparation time approx. 20 minutes + cooling time
Tip: Use stock for pear compote.
Ingredients for 4 servings
4 USA Anjou pears
50 g sugar (1 cup)
Juice of 1 lemon
3-4 tablespoons maple syrup
50 g walnuts
30 g dried cranberries
Mint to garnish
- Halve pears and remove core. Peel pears.
- Allow sugar to caramelize until golden brown. Add pears and briefly fold into caramel. Add lemon juice and maple syrup and allow the caramel to detach. While turning, cook pears in caramel for approx. 5 minutes.
- Chop walnuts, roast and mix them with cranberries. Arrange pear halves with caramel syrup and dredge with walnut-cranberry-mixture. Serve garnished with mint.
Preparation time approx. 20 minutes
Tip: Serve with vanilla sauce or ice cream as desired.