Light and Easy Pear-Strawberry Trifle
This fruit-filled dessert is easy to put together and can be made in minutes. It’s also light on calories. USA Pears are available nearly year-round - they're a perfect accompaniment to strawberries, tangy pineapple, and fluffy angel food cake.
- 2 pared, cored, and thinly sliced Anjou or Bosc USA Pears
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 cups coarsely chopped strawberries
- 2 tablespoons almond-flavored liqueur OR ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ 9-inch angel food cake, cut to 1-inch cubes
- 3 cups vanilla or lemon yogurt
- 1 cup diced fresh or canned pineapple, drained
- Pear slices, to garnish
- Mint sprigs, to garnish
Toss pears in lemon juice and strawberries in liqueur. Combine orange juice and honey, mix well. Layer a deep 2 to 2 ½-quart glass bowl in the following order: a third of the cake cubes sprinkled with 1 tablespoon orange juice mixture, 1 cup yogurt, 1 cup pear slices, 1 cup strawberries, and ½ cup pineapple; repeat. Layer remaining cake, sprinkle with remaining orange juice mixture and spread 1 cup yogurt over top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 to 4 hours before serving. Garnish with pear slices and mint just before serving.
yield: Makes 6 servings