Curried Butternut Squash and Pear Bisque
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 Bosc USA Pears, peeled, halved, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 2 cups apple cider
- 6 cups of water
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of crème fraiche
- 16 fresh dill sprigs
1. Heat olive oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
2. Add onion and sauté, stirring frequently until soft.
3. Add squash and pear, season with salt and pepper, and decrease heat to low. Cook, stirring occasionally, until squash softens and caramelizes slightly.
4. Add curry powder and continue stirring for a minute to let flavor bloom.
5. Pour in cider, increase heat to medium, and add water. Simmer until squash is cooked through completely.
6. Stir in cream and return soup to a simmer. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Puree soup in batches using a blender or food processor.
To serve, ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with a dollop of crème fraiche and a dill sprig.
Yield: Twelve 8-ounce portions with 1 heaping tablespoon crème fraiche per portion
- Serving Size: 12 oz
- Calories: 280
- Carbohydrate: 16g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 3g