The 2015 Pear Up with USA Pears Display Contest (“Contest”) is open to any grocery retailer located in the United States or Canada.
Entrants must be 18 years of age or over. Void where prohibited by law or company policy.
How to Enter
A complete entry will consist of a completed entry form and a good, clear photo that shows the entire display. Entries that do not meet all of the entry requirements will be disqualified.
Entries may be submitted online at usapears.org/pear-up-with-usa-pears-display-contest-2015/. Entries by mail are also permitted. Download and complete the entry form to submit by mail at usapears.org/pear-up-with-usa-pears-display-contest-2015/ and mail to PBNW, attn: Display Contest, 4382 SE International Way, Ste A, Milwaukie, OR 97222 USA. Only one entry may be submitted per store location. Incomplete entries will not be accepted.
Deadline for entry is 11:59 pm Pacific on Wednesday, April 15, 2015. Winners will be notified no later than June 5, 2015. Winners will be posted onusapears.org/pear-up-with-usa-pears-display-contest-2015/.
Entrants should create and maintain a display of Anjou, Red Anjou, and Bosc USA Pears for at least one week (7 days) during the contest period of January 15, 2015 – March 31, 2015. Displays with additional varieties of USA Pears, such as Bartlett, Comice, Concorde, Forelle, Seckel, and/or Red Pears, are encouraged. USA Pears are defined as fresh pears that are grown in Oregon and Washington. Imported pears or pears from other states do not qualify for this contest. Displays that feature jumbo pears (size 70 or larger) will qualify for bonus points. See “Entry Judging” below for details.
A Pear Up with USA Pears POS Pack is available by request. The pack contains several 7” x 11” header cards with recipe tearpads featuring Anjou, Bosc, and Red Anjou pears, plus a “Check the Neck for Ripeness” educational 7” x 11” header card. Limit one pack per store. Stores may generate their own point of sale materials and décor for their displays, as creativity is encouraged. Use of some or all of the materials in the Pear Up with USA Pears POS Pack is optional. Call 503-652-9720 or visitusapears.org/pear-up-with-usa-pears-display-contest-2015/ to order your free POS pack.
All eligible entries will be reviewed by Pear Bureau Northwest and/or its agents. All decisions are final, binding, and non-disputable. Entries will be judged on a 100-point scale based upon the following criteria:
- Appearance (50 points) – Does the display use an appropriate amount of Green Anjou, Red Anjou, and Bosc USA Pears? Is it neat, orderly, and well-stocked? Are the pears shown in good condition? Is the display located in an eye-catching spot and of appropriate size?
- Creativity (25 points) – Is the display creative and unique?
- Educational Impact (25 points) – Is there an educational element that will help shoppers learn more about USA Pears? Does the display offer shoppers information about pear ripening/how to tell when a pear is ripe, pear usage in recipes, nutrition, flavor profiles, where they’re grown, or seasonality?
- Jumbo Pear Bonus! (5 bonus points) – Extra-large pears are available in greater quantities this year thanks to ideal growing conditions this season in the Pacific Northwest. If your pear display contains any pears that are size 70 and larger, you will automatically receive a 5-point bonus.
Entries will be judged based on three store categories, with a total of 39 winners being named, 13 for each of the following store size categories:
- 1 – 5 cash registers
- 6 – 9 cash registers
- 10 or more cash registers
Sales results will not be considered in judging criteria.
Winners in each store category will receive:
- 1st Place……………………………….$1,000
- 2nd Place……………………………….$750
- 3rd Place……………………………….$500
- 10 Honorable Mentions……………..$150 each
All entrants who submit a complete and eligible entry will receive a $20 Amazon.com gift card while supply lasts.
Any and all taxes on total prize values are the sole responsibility of the winners. Cash prizes will be awarded by Pear Bureau Northwest subject to entrant’s company policy. The entrant is solely responsible for confirming pertinent policies and laws. If a winning entrant’s company prohibits the distribution of cash or other prizes, then the prize may be awarded to the company rather than the individual.
General Conditions and Restrictions
By submitting an entry, each entrant grants permission for Pear Bureau Northwest non-exclusive rights to use the information included in the entry and any resulting prize information for advertising and promotional purposes.
Pear Bureau Northwest and its respective partners are not responsible for lost, late, incomplete, stolen, inaccurate, misdirected, or undelivered entry materials; or errors or problems of any kind in connection with this Contest.
Pear Bureau Northwest/USA Pears
4382 SE International Way, Suite A
Milwaukie, OR 97222 USA