This warming bowl of oats is the perfect way to start a chilly morning! Naturally sweetened with banana, this breakfast is topped with a caramelized, soft, hasselback baked pear. Prep the pears the night before, and you can throw this bowl together in 5 minutes!
- 1 cup dry oatmeal (old fashioned or quick)
- 1 large ripe banana
- 1 USA Bosc pear
- Coconut oil
- Pumpkin Pie Spice or Apple Pie Spice
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Creamy almond butter (other nut butter is fine)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Slice pear in half and remove seeds. Cut side down, make narrow slits into each half, being careful not to slice all the way through.
- Grease a small cast iron skillet or baking dish with coconut oil. Place pears cut side down in skillet.
- Sprinkle with a little more coconut oil and Pumpkin Pie Spice. Bake for 45 minutes – 1 hour until soft and tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare the oats with water or milk, according to package instructions.
- Mash banana in a bowl, and add to cooking oats with chia seeds and 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice.
- Stir well until oatmeal is cooked to desired consistency.
- Divide oatmeal evenly into two bowls. Top each bowl with ½ of the baked pear, a scoop of almond butter, and other toppings of choice. Enjoy immediately!
If preparing the pear the night before, microwave for 30 seconds – 1 minute to reheat.
Recipe development and photography by Alexandra Aldeborgh (@daisybeet).